61.What Disney’s city of the future, built to look like the
If your child’s Kindergarten class is anything like my son’s, you have received a list of 10 to 12sight wordsalready in Term 1. After the kids have learned these ones, there’s another list to follow that one, and so on. I’ve had several parents ask me about these, so I’ve put together some information to help make learning sight words easy and fun.
Mike: I mean, If I had known the last time I saw you would be the last time, I... I would have stopped to memorize your face, the way you move, everything about you. If I had known the last time I kissed you would have been the last time... I never would have stopped. 麦克: 如果我早知道上次是最后一次相见，我一定会认真记住你的脸，记住你的每个表情，记住你的一举一动，把与你相关的一切都铭记在脑中;如果早知道上次是和你的最后一吻，不管呼吸多困难，身边又有多大的事儿发生，我都会一直吻下去，永远不会停。
- Come off the six-lane highway at the spaghetti 意大利面junction where Interstate 4 meets Highway 192, go past the ornamental water tower, and you are in Celebration, a town of the sort that America stopped building in the 1950s.
这是并行句，主语是u are。come off A, go pass B and you are in Celebration。
- A scheme in which residents got free computers in exchange for
allowing their browsing activities to be tracked fizzled out once
AT&T, Disney’s corporate partner for technology in the town,
realised it had no use for the data, write Douglas Frantz and
Catherine Collins in “Celebration, USA”, an account of their first
year living in the town in the late 1990s.
存疑吧，why 主谓是 shceme 和fzzled out ?
There are many terms you may hear to describe these lists of words. Your school may call them:sight words, high frequency words, magic words, golden words…and the list goes on. Basically, these are words that occur most frequently in texts that children will read. If we want our children to be fluent readers, they must learn to recognise these words quickly, by sight (without having to sound them out).
- utopia[ju:'təupiə]乌托邦——dystopian [dɪs'tɒpiən]：
- obligatory [ə'blɪgət(ə)rɪ]义务的
obliged[ə'blaidʒd] ：sb ~ to do sth某人有义务做:
We ~ to show filial ['fɪlɪəl] obedience to our parents.孝顺的[ə'biːdɪəns]顺从
- antidote [ˈæntidəʊt]解药，
- ingenuity and imagination[,ɪndʒɪ'njuːɪtɪ]创造力和想象力
The project was shelved because of lack of capital.
- cut off from与..隔绝
亚里士多德讲：The Art of Rhetorical演讲的艺术: 讲要有信誉、逻辑，情感才是成功的演讲。
- picturesque [ˌpɪktʃəˈresk]如诗如画的：-esque后缀，....式的.
- the setting for “The Truman Show”...电影拍摄地
- next to nothing几乎没有。
- slack off松懈：
You have the good reason to slack off.
The offensive has slacked off.[ə'fensɪv]攻势
- faux [fəʊ]人造的 : ~fur [fɜː]人造皮革
- median incomes中位数收入：比如4000人中的第2000人的收入['miːdɪən]
Where to begin with sight words? 从哪里开始学高频词？
How to Help Your Child with Sight Words in Kindergarten
- Yet for all its failings, Celebration has changed America.['feɪlɪŋ]
- If it had stayed that way, I would have had to go somewhere else
- nostalgia for an old-timey life,in the quiet of summer twilight追忆旧时光[nɒ'stældʒə]乡愁['kwaɪət]安静的['twaɪlaɪt]黄昏
- Judged as an investment, Celebration was a blockbuster.作为一个投资产品，C庆典小镇就是一个爆款。块，大物。
What makes learning sight words difficult? 什么导致了学习高频词的难度？
We don’t want children to rely entirely on their ‘photo memory’ for every one of these words. We want to give them other strategies to help them learn these words in the first place, such as using the first letter sound (when possible). 我们不想孩子完全让看照片一样死记每个词，要给他们其他策略来帮助记忆，如上面提到的通过熟悉的首字母发音词来识别新词
- 如果当初我早知道,我就.....If I had known the last time I saw you would be the last time, I would have stopped to memorize your face, the way you move, everything about you. If I had known the last time I kissed you would have been the last time… I never would have stopped.
- Today I caught[kɔːt] myself smiling['smaɪlɪŋ] for no reason... then I realized I was thinking about you
- If I could be any part of you, I would be your tears. To be conceived构思 in your heart, born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
Learning new words should be fun, not a chore. Keep it light and if your child is showing signs of frustration, stop and try another time. 学习新词过程应该是有趣的,而不是看起来繁琐无味，如果孩子感觉沮丧，应该停下来换个时间再试
What are sight words and why are they important? 什么是高频词，为什么很重要